纽约英语口语网新版
费城英语口语
第34课:You're Tops 你说的算 ACT - 1

Is that you, Susan? 是你吗,Susan?
It's me, Grandpa. 是我,爷爷。
Am I glad to see you! 我看到你真的很高兴!
And am I glad to see you! 我看见你才高兴呢!
I am also glad to be here. 我很高兴来这儿。
How are things? 近况如何?
I have been talking to a group of salesmen 我一直在与一群推销人员谈话
since ten this morning, 从今天上午十点起,
and I'm real exhausted. 我实在是精疲力竭了。
Well, you look good. 嗯,你看起来蛮好的。
What's Harry doing tonight? Harry今晚做什么?
He and Michelle 他和Michelle
are visiting relatives in New Jersey today. 今天去New Jersey拜访亲戚去了。
The rest of our family went to the movies. 我们家的其余的人都去看电影了。
So it's just you and me, Susan. 所以这儿只有你和我,Susan。
It's nice to be alone with you, Grandpa. 很高兴单独与你在一起,爷爷。
We don't get to see enough of each other. 我们在一起的时间太少了。
Oh, I feel the same way, Susan. 噢,我也有同样的感受,Susan。
I miss seeing you. 我很想见到你 。
But to tell the truth, 但是老实说,
next time 下一次
I'd like to go into the city and meet you there, 我想到城里看你,
instead of you coming here. 而不是到这儿来。
You don't need to do that, Grandpa. 你不用这样,爷爷。
Yeah, I do. 不,我要这样。
I need to get out more. 我需要多出门去。
Well, I mean 我的意思是
there's a lot to do around the house, 这屋里有很多事可做,
and I love being here with the family, 而我也喜欢和家人在一起,
you know, 你知道的,
but I'm restless. 但我闲不住。
Since I retired, 自从我退休以后,
I've got extra time on my hands. 我有过多空闲时间。
I understand, Grandpa. 我能体会,爷爷。
I think you do. 我想你能体会。
Frankly, 坦白地说,
I'd like to use my brain a little more. 我想多用用我的脑子。

Grandpa, 爷爷,
you have so much energy and so many years of experience. 你精力这么好又有这么多年的经验。
There are probably a lot of places for you to work 也许有很多地方可以让你去工作。
Particularly in the construction field. 特别是在建筑界。
But at my age, 但是像我这般年纪,
I'm not looking for a full-time job. 我不会去找一个上全天班的工作。
I'm retired. 我退休了。
But I'm bored. 但我感到无聊。
Well, there must be something. 嗯,一定可以找到事做.
Maybe I can help. 也许我能帮忙。
Let's go into the kitchen, 我们到厨房去,
and maybe you can help me set the table. 也许你能帮我摆桌子。
Sounds good to me. 我来。
What are we having? 我们吃些什么?
I prepared lamb chops, 我准备了羊肉,
mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with. 马铃薯泥,还有蔬菜色拉当头道菜。
Grandpa, you are a terrific guy! 爷爷,你真了不起!
You're still thinking about something to do, aren't you? 你还在想要找点事做,是吗?
A job of some kind. 一些工作。
That's right. 是的。
I've been thinking about it for weeks now. 为这事我想了几个星期。
There must be some way to put my mind to good use. 总会有办法让我发挥才能的。
We'll find a solution. 我们会找到解决的办法。
A positive solution 一个好法子
to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours. 能够让你施展你的学识。