纽约英语口语网新版
金巴利英语口语
第 76 课: Does that mean family? 那是家庭的意思吗?

Javier: You got it. So you'll see parades like this one and lots of food and folk
dancing. 没错。所以你会看到像这样的游行,还有很多美食跟民俗舞蹈。

Mei: It's strange because when we think of Americans, we think of white people. 说来很怪,每当我们想到美国人时,我们就会想到白人。

Javier: Yeah. Caucasians are the majority in America, but Latinos will soon make up the biggest minority. Our numbers are growing. 是呀。白人在美国占大多数,但是拉丁美洲人马上就会成为数量最多的少数民族。我们的人数一直在增加。

Mei: What's the difference between a Latino and a Hispanic? I've heard you use both terms. Latino跟Hispanics有何不同?我听你用了两个名称。

Javier: The word Hispanic means anything coming from Spain. Younger, more assimilated people seem to like it better. Hispanic的这个词是指任何从西班牙来的东西。年轻,已被同化的人比较喜欢用这个词。

Mei: And Latino is used by the older people? 而比较老的人就会用Latino?

Javier: Yeah, but both are OK here in L.A. I just say I'm a Chicano, for example, because my parents are from Mexico. 没错,但是在洛杉矶都适用。好比说,我会说我是墨裔美国人,因为我父母都来自墨西哥。

Mei: It all seems so complicated. I don't want to offend anyone. 听起来好复杂。我可不想冒犯到谁。

Javier: Don't worry. There's one thing we Hispanics all have in common: amistad! 别担心。咱们拉丁裔人都有个共通点︰amistad!

Mei: Does that mean family? 那是家庭的意思吗?

Javier: Well, family is top on our list, but amistad mean friendship. We're all
friendly and easy-going. 嗯,家庭是我们最重视的观念,不过amistad是友谊的意思。我们都很友善随和。

Mei: Yeah! Everybody seems so happy and passionate. 没错!大家似乎都很快乐又热情。

Javier: They say Hispanics live long because they have strong family values, life-long friendships and they enjoy life! 人家说拉丁裔人比较长寿,因为他们有浓厚的家庭观、终生的友谊而且会享受生活!

Mei: Cool! Yeah, Everyone walking around seems to be with big families. 酷!对啊,四周的人看起来就像是个大家庭。