纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 16 课: I have a big favor to ask.我要请你帮个大忙

Candy: Well, how nice that you have goals for yourself. But me? I have no idea what to do now. 你自己有目标真好。但我呢?我现在根本不知道该怎么办。

Sarah: You'll probably need to write a really good essay and get some nice
recommendations to win admission. 你或许得要写份很棒的文章,然后找些不错的推荐函,取得入学许可。

Candy: But I can barely write my name in English. Can you help me find someone? 但是我的英文这么破。你可以帮我找个人吗?

Sarah: I do know an American guy. He has some experience helping people write these kinds of things. 我的确认识一个美国人。他有一些帮人写这类东西的经验。

Candy: Great! Bring him on! 太棒了!带他上场吧!

Sarah: I have a big favor to ask. My cousin Candy is trying to study abroad. She's kind of a ditz, and... 我要请你帮个大忙。我表妹凯蒂想出国留学。她有点呆呆的,而且……

Ian: ...and you want me to consult and translate for her, right? I'm busy writing a report for work now, you know. ……而且妳要我当她的顾问还要帮她翻译,是吧?妳也知道,我正忙着写一份工作报告。

Sarah: I know, I know. But I didn't know who else to call. She IS a little aimless, but, um...she's kinda cute. 我知道,我知道。但是我不知道还能打给谁。她的确有点漫无目标,但是,嗯……她挺可爱的。

Ian: Aren't they all? You'll owe me big time for this, Sarah. 这种人不都是这样?妳这次可会欠我一个大人情喔,莎拉。

Sarah: Maybe it'll end up being worth your while-her father is a very rich man. 或许最终这对你是值得的——她爸是个很有钱的人。

Ian: Nice to meet you, Candy. So why do you want to go abroad? 很高兴遇见你,凯蒂。你为什么想要出国呢?

Candy: I think maybe I can...discover myself in America. 我想或许我可以……在美国发现自我。

Ian: That's funny. I thought I could discover myself in Taiwan. But instead, I
discovered that it isn't about where you are, it's about how you live your life. 有趣。我本来以为可以在台湾发现自我。但我反而发现这跟身在何处无关,这是跟生活的方
式有关。

Candy: What are you talking about? My parents want me to do this. But, I do want to improve my English. 你在说什么?我爸妈想要我这么做。但是,我的确是想增进我的英文。

Ian: You can do that here. I know lots of guys who'd love to...um...speak English with you. What do you want to study anyway? 你可以在这增进英文啊。我认识很多男生会很喜欢……嗯……跟你说英文的。那你到底想念什么呢?