纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 17 课: Are you hoping for an MBA? 你想攻读企管硕士吗?

Candy: My major was in public relations, but what can I do with these scores? [hands results to Ian] 我主修公共关系,但是我这种成绩能干嘛呢?(把成绩递给伊恩)

Ian: I see. Well...what really interests you? What do you find exciting? 我懂了。呃……你究竟对什么感兴趣?有发现什么令你感到兴奋的吗?

Candy: Maybe, um...management? My daddy does that. Maybe I can, too. 凯蒂:也许,嗯……管理?我爸就做那个。或许我也可以。

Ian: I see you took the GMAT. Are you hoping for an MBA? 我看到你考了GMAT。你想攻读企管硕士吗?

Candy: I guess...but what can I do with these scores? Will any good school want me? 我猜是吧……但是拿这些成绩我该怎么办呢?会有什么好学校想收我吗?

Ian: You know that in Taiwan, sometimes it doesn't even matter where you study, as long as you have a degree. 你也知道,在台湾有时候念哪所学校根本不重要,只要有个学位就好。

Candy: So maybe you can help me think of schools that I can get into. 所以,或许你可以帮我想出我可以进的学校。

Ian: Many American MBA programs are looking for people with work experience. Do you have any? 许多美国的企管硕士课程要找有工作经验的人。你有吗?

Candy: Yes, I helped answer phones at my dad's office for a few months. 有,我在我爸的办公室帮忙接过几个月电话。

Ian: OK. We'll write, “Executive Secretary and PR specialist at top Taiwan company” and no one would know the difference. I assume your father can have someone write you a letter of recommendation. 好,我们就写‘在台湾一流公司担任执行秘书和公关专员’,没人会知道这有什么差别。我想你爸可以找个人帮你写份推荐信。

Candy: Yes, I could even ask him to write it. 好,我甚至可以拜托他写。

arah: I don't think that's a good idea. Who else can you ask for letters? 我不认为那是个好主意。你还可以找谁写推荐信?

Candy: I was planning on asking one of my PR professors. And also a social work
organization I volunteered for once. 我本来计划找一位我的公关学教授。还有我曾当过一次义工的社福机构。

Sarah: That's great. You know, I've been scrambling all over Taiwan to find good letters of recommendation. 那很棒。我找遍了全台湾才勉强凑到好的推荐信。

Candy: At least you don't need to get them translated into English. 至少你不需要把那些翻成英文。

Sarah: True, but for Ph.D. programs, I need very substantial recommendations. It's sometimes hard to ask professors I wasn't very familiar with. 的确,但是对博士学位来说,我需要很有份量的推荐信。有时候对一些不是很熟的教授,我很难开口。