纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 31 课: How was your first day? 第一天过得如何?

Dad: Hey, Luke! How was your first day? 嘿,路克!第一天过得如何?

Luke: I have a new nickname...“brace-face.” 我有个新绰号…… ‘铁面人’。

Dad: “Brace-face”? Ah, that ain't so bad! Kids used to call me worse names than that! ‘铁面人’?啊,不算太坏嘛!以前的孩子给我的绰号更糟!

Luke: You're just trying to cheer me up. 你只是想让我开心罢了。

Dad: No! We used to call kids with braces “metal mouths.” Ha-ha! 才不是呢!我们以前都叫戴牙套的孩子 ‘大钢牙’。哈哈!

Luke: Yeah, well, they call me that too, Dad. 是啊,老爸,他们也有那样叫我。

Dad: Oh, I'm sorry! But who cares! They're only names. I know you're tougher than that! 喔,真抱歉!但谁在乎呢!那不过是些绰号罢了。我知道你够坚强!

Luke: I just always feel so stupid. I'm afraid to smile. 我只是一直觉得好呆。我不敢笑。

Mom: It would be a shame if you stopped smiling for the next two years. 如果你接下来两年都不笑,那就太糟糕了。

Luke: I feel like a little kid. 我觉得像个小孩子。

Mom: Just trust us on this one. One day you'll be able to 1 look back at this and laugh. 这件事听我们的准没错。有朝一日你会笑着回顾这整件事。

Luke: Right. I'll be laughing with tears in my eyes because it's so sad! 是啊。我会笑中带泪,因为太悲哀了。

Mom: Ha! Sometimes you're funny when you're silly. If you ever need a date, I'm always available. 哈!你傻里傻气的时候还真可爱。你任何时候需要约会对象,我都有空。

Luke: Yeah, thanks, Mom. 是喔,多谢老妈。