纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 88 课: How am I supposed to decide? 我要怎么决定?

Candy: Thank you so much! I got into almost all the schools I applied to! 太谢谢你了!我申请的学校几乎都上了!

Ian: [Sounds surprised] Really? That's great! (听起来很惊讶)真的?那太好了!

Candy: So I want to buy you a drink and ask you some questions about what to do now. 所以我想请你喝一杯,问问你现在该怎么做。

Ian: Sure. Tomorrow night could work for me. Do you know where you are going to go? 当然好。明天晚上我可以。你知道你要上哪所学校了吗?

Candy: It's a hard call. I'm really surprised that Columbia took me but Cal State Fullerton didn't. 这很难决定。我很惊讶哥伦比亚大学录取我了,而加州州立大学富乐顿分校没有。

Ian: [Sunds even more surprised] Well, um, let's talk about this tomorrow, OK? (听起来更惊讶)呃,嗯,这个我们明天 再谈,好吗?

Candy: So, before we get a drink, let me show you what Columbia sent me! 那么,在我们喝一杯前,我先让你看哥伦比亚大学寄给我的东西!

Ian:[Reads letter] “Your application was one of many excellent applications, and we considered long and hard...” Blah blah blah. “...and we wish you much success in your future endeavors.” (读信) ‘你的申请书是众多出色的申请 书之一,经过一番深思熟虑……如此那般……我们预祝你未来的努力能成功。’

Candy: Isn't that great? They not only accept me, but they wish me success, too! 那不是很棒吗?他们不只录取了我,还祝我成功!

Ian: Candy, this is a REJECTION letter! I need to look at everything else you got. 凯蒂,这是一封 ‘回绝信’!我要看看所有其它你拿到的信。

Candy: What do you mean? I didn't get in? 什么意思?我没有被录取?

Ian: Well, Fullerton accepted you! And so did SUNY-Albany. 好吧,加州州立大学富乐顿分校录取你了!纽约州立大学奥本尼分校也是。

Candy: [Pouts] But I wanted to go to Columbia! What am I supposed to do now? (噘着嘴)但是我想进哥伦比亚大学!我现在该怎么办?

Ian: Grin and bear it. Most people don't get into their first choice school. You still have some good options though. 微笑接受吧。大部分人都没有进他们第一选择的学校。不过你还是有些不错选择。

Candy: [Pretends to cry] How am I supposed to decide? (假装要哭了)我要怎么决定?

Ian: First, which kind of weather do you like better? Three hundred days of sunshine, or four seasons? 首先,你比较喜欢什么样的天气?全年有三百天阳光的,还是四季分明的?