纽约英语口语网新版
流行美语
第 35 课:wasted; to get a kick...

昨天晚上Michael 和一个老同学一起出去玩, 两个人都喝得酩酊大醉。现在李华来找他一起去看一个新的艺术展览。李华会学到两个常用语:wasted和 to get a kick out of something。

L: 嗨, Michael,快走吧,该去看展览了!

M: Give me a moment, Li Hua. Last night a friend and I went out to a bar and got wasted, so I don't feel very good right now.

L: Got wasted? 你说你们浪费了好多钱呀?

M: No, Li Hua, when I say we got wasted I mean we got very very drunk.

L: 噢,你们到酒吧去了。你说的wasted意思是喝酒喝得酩酊大醉, 不是指浪费。

M: We were so wasted that we couldn't even stand up straight.

L: 你们真是要命,喝得站都站不直。干吗要喝那么多呢?这么喝对你身体不好的。

M: I know. My best friend from high school came to visit, and we usually get wasted when we meet.

L: 中学时的好朋友来看你,一高兴就喝多了,这我可以理解。在中国,老同学见面的时候,我们总是会开个party, 往往喝好多酒, 可是我们不见得会醉到象你这种程度。

M: Ugh. It always seems like a lot of fun when I get completely wasted, but the next day, I regret it.

L: 是啊,喝得大醉的时候觉得很好玩,到第二天你就后悔了。得了,你得换换衣服,吃点东西。我们得早点去,否则人会太多了。

M: Eat something? Are you kidding? I can't even open my eyes without feeling sick.

L: 哟,你睁开眼睛就想吐呀?那是不能吃东西。Michael,幸好今天是星期六,否则你整天就不能上课,什么事也做不了。

M: Yes, I'm in graduate school, and I can't afford to miss too many classes.

L: 研究生要缺太多课可不是开玩笑的。得了,我看你还是先洗一个澡,再喝点茶,这样可能会好些。

M: Okay, I'll try.

L: Michael,你觉得怎么样,好点吗?快,我们走吧!

M: Li Hua, don't speak so loudly. I still have a headache. I think you get a kick out of watching me suffer.

L: 你说什么?你想踢我?

M: No, I said you get a kick out of watching me suffer. That means, you enjoy watching me suffer.

L: 噢,to get a kick out of something意思就是为了什么事感到很开心。 这个kick跟踢球的kick是同一个字吗?

M: That's right.

L: 我干吗看见你难受我就高兴呢? 你是自作自受!

M: I know, I know...you're a good friend. You get a kick out of helping people, not watching them suffer.

L: 这你说得还象样,我才不愿意看见别人难受,我很高兴帮助别人。 帮助象你这样的美国学生学中文我就很高兴。

M: I'm so useless. I only get a kick out of doing stupid things, like getting wasted or watching old cartoons.

L: 偶然喝醉一次,看看老的卡通片也不能说自己没有用嘛。你看到你的学生英语有进步,不也让你很高兴吗?

M: Yes, I guess I do get a kick out of watching my students learn.

L: Michael, 走吧! 嗨,看完展览要不要再去喝个酩酊大醉呀?

M: Arrrgh! Li Hua, you really do get a kick out of tormenting me. I'll never get wasted for the rest of my life. I promise.

L: 我只是开个玩笑而已。不过,我倒是希望你这辈子再也不要喝那么多酒了!

别看Michael 昨晚喝醉了,今天还晕乎乎的。可是他教了李华两个很有用的常用语,一个是:wasted,那是指喝得大醉;另一个是:to get a kick out of something,那就是为某件事感到很高兴。