纽约英语口语网新版
美国概况英语
第 13 课:Why Parents Can't Add 为 什 么 父 母 不 会 加 法-1

These days it seems that everybody is talking about our schools. "Something is definitely wrong," people say. "Why, kids can't even add!" 如 今 似 乎 人 人 都 在 谈 论 我 们 的 学 校。 “肯 定 出 了 什 么 毛 病。” 人 们 说。 “可 不, 孩 子 们 连 加 法 都 不 会 做?”

Well, I know why kids today can't add. It's because parents can't do their kids' homework. 啊, 我 知 道 如 今 孩 子 们 为 什 么 不 会 做 加 法。 这 是 因 为 父 母 们 不 会 做 他 们 的 孩 子 的 家 庭 作 业。

It was different in the old days, the days before N.M. (New Math).
过 去 —— 也 就 是 新 数 学 以 前 的 时 代 —— 可 不 是 这 样。

Kids, of course, just call it Math--they've never heard of the Old Math. You see, in the old days homework was really simple. But not today! 当 然, 孩 子 们 管 它 叫 数 学, 他 们 从 来 没 听 说 过 旧 数 学。 你 要 知 道, 过 去 家 庭 作 业 的 确 很 简 单。 但 是 如 今 可 不 是 那 么 回 事 !

Here's an example to show what I mean. 这 里 举 个 例 子 来 说 吧。

The other day my daughter brought home an assignment. "I have to subtract 179 from 202," she said. 几 天 前, 我 女 儿 带 回 家 一 份 作 业。 “我 必 须 用 202 减 去 179。” 她 说。

"It's quite simple," I said. "You put the 202 over the 179."
“这 很 简 单”。 我 说。 “你 把 202 放 在 179 上 面。”

"But what do I do with the 10?" “那 10 怎 么 办 呢?”

"What 10?" “什 么 10?”

"The 10 that goes next to the 202." “紧 跟 着 202 的 那 个 10。”

"I don't know what 10 goes next to the 202. Let's just subtract 179 from 202. “我 不 知 道 什 么 是 10 紧 跟 着 202。 用 202 减 179 不 就 得 了 嘛。

Nine from two is three, and you carry one. Eight from zero is two. The answer is 23." 2 减 9 得 3, 借 一 位。 0 减 8 得 2。 得 数 是 23。”