纽约英语口语网新版
初到加国口语
第 21 课:Telephone )电 话-2

A: When I get a telephone installed, where do I get a phone book? 安 装 完 电 话 后, 在 哪 能 弄 到 电 话 簿?

B: You should get 2 books without charge from the phone company office, one with yellow pages and one with white. 你 可 从 电 话 公 司 免 费 得 到 两 本, 一 本 是 黄 页 的, 一 本 是 白 页 的。

A: Why do you need two books? 为 什 么 需 要 两 本?

B: The white one has numbers of people and businesses listed alphabetically, as well as general telephone information. 白 页 的 是 按 字 母 顺 序 所 列 的 个 人 和 企 事 业 号 码 以 及 普 通 电 话 信 息。

A: What's the yellow one used for? 那 黄 页 的 是 干 什 么 用 的 呢?

B: It has service businesses listed by type. For example, automobiles, restaurants, travel agents. It sometimes has a street map, too. 它 是 按 服 务 业 种 类 所 列 的 业 务 号 码, 如: 汽 车、 饭 店、 旅 行 社。 有 时 还 有 街 道 图。

A: That's useful. I want to make some long-distance business calls. 非 常 有 用。 我 想 打 一 些 长 途 业 务 电 话。

B: You can call some businesses free if they have a 1-800 number. 如 对 方 有 1-800 号, 你 可 以 免 费 打。

A: How do I find this out? 我 怎 么 能 查 出 来 呢?

B: If you don't see it in their advertisement, you can call " directory inquiries ". 如 你 在 广 告 中 找 不 到 的 话, 你 可 以 打“ 查 询” 电 话。

A: Tell me about directory inquiries. Does it work for personal numbers as well? 给 我 讲 讲 查 询 电 话。 是 不 是 也 可 以 查 个 人 电 话 号 码?

B: Yes. You call 1-(the area code)-555-1212 for any long distance number you want. 800 is treated as an area code. 是 的。 你 拨 1-(区 号) -555-1212, 询 问 你 所 需 要 的 任 何 长 途 号 码。800被 看 作 是 区 号。