纽约英语口语网新版
麦哲伦英语
第 29 课:Writing the Name Backwards 倒着写名字

The other day a man named William Smith went to a police station. He wanted to get a license to drive a car.有一天,警察局来了个叫威廉姆.史密斯的人。他想办一张驾驶汽车的驾驶证。

Behind the desk in the police station sat a police captain. He was not a very polite man.警察局里办公桌后坐着一位警官。他不是个很客气的人。

“I would like to get a license to drive a car,” said Mr. Smith in a low voice.“我想办张汽车驾驶证”,史密斯先生低声说。

“You have to fill out this card first,” said the police captain. He threw a small white card in Mr. Smith's direction.“首先你必须填好这张卡,”警官说。他朝史密斯先生的方向扔过来一张白色的小卡片。

“Put your name at the top.” “顶端填写你的姓名。”

“In ink?” asked Mr. Smith very politely.“用墨水填?”史密斯先生很礼貌地问。

“Of course, in ink!” said the police captain. “Put your last name first and your first name last.”“当然,用墨水!”警官说,“先写姓,后写名。”

“How's that?” said Smith. He did not understand the police captain.“怎么填?”史密斯说。他不明白负责人的意思。

“Write your name backwards. Your last name first and your first name last. BACKWARDS!” “从后往前写姓名。姓在前,名在后。倒着写!”

“Backwards?” “倒着写?”

“That's right. That's just what I said!” “对。我就是这样说的!”

Slowly, carefully Mr. Smith began to write. It seemed a little strange to him. But the police captain must know what was correct.史密斯先生开始慢慢地、仔细地填写。他觉得这有点奇怪。但警官肯定知道怎么填写才是正确的。

Mr. Smith wrote his name: HTIMS MAILLIW. 史密斯先生写下了他的姓名: HTIMS MAILLIW。