纽约英语口语网新版
麦哲伦英语
第 62 课:A Way To Catch a Thief 抓贼之道

Old Mrs. Robinson was a widow who lived alone in a small house. 年老的罗宾逊夫人是个寡妇,独自一人住在一个小房子里。

Her son John lived with his wife and child in another street, and he often said to his mother, 她的儿子约翰和他的妻子、孩子住在另一条街,他经常对母亲说:

"You must come and live with us," but she always answered, "No, I'm very happy in my little house, and I don't want to leave it." “你一定要过来和我们一起住,”但她总是回答:“不,我在自己的小房子里很开心,不想离开。”

At eight o'clock one morning the old woman telephoned her son and said, 'Please come to my house.' Then she put the phone down. 有天早晨,老太太八点钟就给儿子打电话:“到我这里来。”然后就放下了电话。

John said to his wife, "Mother wants me. Perhaps she's ill. I'll go down to have a look." He quickly drove to his mother's house. 约翰对妻子说:“妈妈需要我。或许她生病了。我去看一看。”他开车很快就到了母亲的住处。

When the old woman opened the door, her son asked, "What's the matter, Mother?" 老太太打开门,她的儿子问:“什么事,妈妈?”

"Come in,"she answered. "There's a thief in one of my cupboards." “进来,”她说,“有个贼在我的一个壁橱里。”

"A thief in one of your cupboards?" said John."When did you find him?" “有个贼在壁橱里?”约翰问。“你什么时候发现的?”

"I heard noises in a cupboard yesterday evening," she answered. “昨晚我听到壁橱里有响声,”她答道。

"Which one?" John asked quietly. They were in the dining room now. “哪一个壁橱?”他悄悄地问。现在他们在餐厅里。

"That one," the old woman answered. “那个,”老太太回答。

"Why didn't you telephone me then?"John asked. “你当时怎么不给我打电话?”约翰问。

"Because it was late, and I didn't want to trouble you," she answered. “天晚了,而且我不想打扰你,”她答。

"But the thief hasn't stayed in the cupboard all night, has he?"asked John. “但贼不会整个晚上呆在壁橱里,是不是?”约翰问。

"Oh, yes, he has,"the old woman answered. "I nailed the door up, and then I went to bed." “哦,他会的,”老太太说,“我把门给钉上,然后上床睡觉了。”