纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 11 课: How many people live here? 有多少人住在这里?

Wei: Really? It seems cool that you guys can just cross over into each other's
countries! 真的?你们可以直接进入对方的国家真好!

Paul: The Canada-U.S. border is the longest open border in the world. 加美国界是世界上最长的无武装国界。

Wei: Neat. And thanks so much, Trev! That was a fun week in the States! 真有趣。还有要谢谢你,崔佛!在美国的那一周真是好玩极了!

Paul: Now it's my turn to play tour guide. I hope the two of you enjoy your first trip in Canada! 现在换我当导游啰。希望你们两位可以好好享受加拿大的处女行!

Wei: What's in store for us, Paul? 接下来你会帮我们安排什么呢?

Paul: A little sightseeing, a little big city touring, and a little Quebec mixed in
with some Canadiana! 一些风景名胜、一些城市之旅,还会去一下魁北克,各有不同的加拿大特色。

Wei: Hey! That sign says London—just like London, England. 嘿!那个标志写着伦敦——就像在英国的伦敦。

Paul: Yep. Same name, different city. This is my hometown! 是啊。一样的名字,不一样的地方。这里是我的家乡。

Wei: Cool. How many people live here? 真的吗?有多少人住在这里?

Paul: About one-third of a million--but THIS London had a “Miss Universe”
champion--take that England! 约三十几万人——但这个伦敦有 ‘环球小姐’冠军——你去看英国有没有吧!

Wei: Hmm. So, do you guys have kings and queens and all that stuff, too? 嗯。那你们也有国王和皇后那些制度吗?

Paul: Ha-ha! About the only kings and queens here are on playing cards and at gay bars. 哈哈!冠于(关于)国王和皇后,这里大概只有扑克牌上和同志酒吧里才有。

Trev: HA! “Aboot!” “Aboot!” There's your first lesson, Wei—Canadians say “aboot!” 哈!‘冠于!’‘冠于!’这是你的第一课,小薇——加拿大人说‘冠于!’

Paul: Better than your Texan-like “abaaaaout”, Trev. 总比你那个像德州腔的 ‘管遇’好啦,崔佛。

Trev: No way! You sound like some funny-talking British duke! “Oot and aboot!” “Oot and aboot!” 才怪!你听起来像怪腔怪调的英国公爵!‘出企(出去)和冠于!’‘出企和冠于!’

Paul: Canadians aren't British and, contrary to what some people think, we're not American. 加拿大人才不是英国人,而且,和某些人认为的相反,我们并不是美国人。

Trev: Exactly! You guys don't have a Hollywood in Canada. 一点都没错!你们加拿大没有好莱坞。

Paul: OK, we don't have Hollywood, but you may not realize how many Canadians are entertaining us all! 嗯,我们没有好莱坞,但你大概不知道有多少加拿大人为这个世界带来娱乐!