纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 13 课: What the heck does that mean? 那到底是什么意思?

Trev: But I've heard some Canadians use “zee” when spelling. 但我听过有些加拿大人在拼字时念成 ‘zee’。

Paul: That's called the “Americanization of Canada.” 那叫 ‘加拿大的美国化’。

Trev: What the heck does that mean? 那到底是什么意思?

Paul: Well, we only have one-tenth the population of America, so it's easy to be influenced. 我们的人口只有美国的十分之一,所以很容易被影响。

Trev: What's wrong with that? 那有什么不好?

Paul: Nothing. But we like to keep--and try to keep--our own identity. We are quietly proud of who we are. 没什么不好。但我们喜欢保存——并试着保存——我们自己的特色。我们嘴巴不说,但以身为加拿大人为荣。

Wei: Do you get angry if someone calls you an American? 如果有人叫你美国人,你会不会生气啊?

Paul: No. But I'll correct the person. Every Canadian will do that. 不会,但我会纠正那个人。每个加拿大人都会那么做。

Wei: HOLY SMOKES!! I just noticed that you're driving one hundred and thirty kilometers! Everyone is! 天啊!!我刚发现你时速开到一百三十公里!其它的车也是!

Paul: That's what we call Canadian highway traffic flow. Bienvenue au Canada! 那才是加拿大高速公路的车流速度。欢迎来到加拿大!

Wei: That sounds like French! You speak French, right? 那听起来像法文!你会说法文,对吧?

Paul: Umm, no...I wasn't a good student. But Canadian students must study French for about five years. 嗯,没有啦……我不是好学生。但是加拿大的学生都得学五年左右的法文。

Wei: I thought Canadians spoke French. 我以为每个加拿大人都会讲法语。

Paul: Uh, maybe one-third. But over eighty percent of Quebec speaks French as their mother tongue. 嗯,大概三分之一的人会。但超过八成的魁北克人以法语为母语。

Wei: Cool! A little bit of France in North America! 酷!北美洲有一小块法国!

Paul: That's what makes Canada special--the many cultures here are encouraged to keep their identities and languages. 那就是加拿大特别的原因——许多聚集在此的文化,都被鼓励要保存他们的特色和语言。

Wei: It'll be fun to see the French way of life. 看看法国式的生活将会很有趣。

Paul: Oui-oui, Mademoiselle! In a couple of days we'll see it. 是的是的,小薇小姐!过几天我们就会看到了。