纽约英语口语网新版
生活英语口语
第 21 课:Transportation Problems and Complaints 交通问题及抱怨- 3

A: Really?真的吗?

B: Yeah, the smog from all these cars gets into the air and turns the sunlight red.是的,汽车产出的烟雾进入空气中,日光便显出这种红色。

A: I never knew that. 我可不知道这个。

B: Yeah, more people need to take public transportation or carpool.是呀,应该有更多的人搭乘公交车或合伙使用小汽车。

A: Well, we’ve already done our part.噢,我们自己已经尽力了。

B: Yeah, it’s your turn to drive next week. Don’t be late picking me up.是呀,下个星期轮到你开车了。接我可别迟到了。

A: Don’t worry. I’m getting more sleep these days. The baby’s finally growing up a little more.不用着急。我近来睡眠时间更充足了。小孩子终于长大了一些了。

B: Well, give me a call if you can’t make it for some reason.哦,如果因为什么原因你不能来的话给我一个电话。

Modern transportation revolves around cars. Americans drive everywhere, to the store, to work, to school. 现代交通离不开小汽车。美国人去什么地方都开着车,去商店购物,去上班,去学校。

Everybody wants they’re own car. This creates a tremendous amount of traffic, which leads to many traffic accidents. 人人都想拥有自己的车。这就使得交通负荷增加,导致不少的交通事故。

In addition, all those cars release pollution into the air. 而且,小汽车也在空气中释放污染。

Efforts have been made to get people to use public transportation and to carpool, which means sharing rides with other people. 在要求人们使用公共交通系统或合伙使用汽车(即和其他人共用汽车)方面,社会已经做过这种努力。

Many people believe what we really need is a cleaner car. Companies are trying currently working on designs that would run on water and electricity. 很多人认为我们真正需要的是更为环保的车型。汽车公司目前也在试图设计只靠水和电两种能源驱动的汽车。

People seem likely to buy these cars because of the money they would save on gasoline. 人们也可能购买这种车因为这样可以节省买汽油的费用。

They would help the environment a great deal, because they only release water into the air. 因为释放到空气中的只是水份,这样也可以为环保做出很大贡献。

The first sales of these cars are expected in California around 2005. 这种款式的车有望2005年在加州首次出售。点这里和我MSN聊天