纽约英语口语网新版
生活英语口语
第 6 课: Holidays 假期 - 2

B: Can I check this one out? 这本可以外借吗?

A: I’m sorry. It’s for reference only, so it must stay in the library. But you’re welcome to look through it. 对不起,这本只是参考书,不能外借。但是你可以查阅。

B: Ok. And I’d like to check these books out. 好吧。我想借这些书。

A: All right. They’re due back next Wednesday. 好的。归还期限是下个星期三。

B: Thanks for your help. 谢谢你的帮忙。

A: Wow! I can’t believe I’m standing here!哇,我简直不能相信我站着这儿。

B: What are you so excited about? 你怎么如此兴奋。

A: I’m standing in front of an exquisite work of art! 我可是站在一副精美的艺术作品前面。

B: What’s the big deal? It’s just a picture of some woman. 这又有什么了不起。只是某位女士的肖像画而已。

A: I’ve seen it so many times in books, but I never imagined I’d get to see it in person. 我在书本上看到很多次。但没想到可以亲眼见到。

B: There are tons of other paintings that I think are better. 我想比这好的不计其数。

A: Maybe so, but do you have any idea how much this one is worth?! 可能是的。但是你知道这幅画值多少钱吗?

B: No, how much is it worth? 不知道,值多少钱?

A: About 80 million dollars 大概8千万元。

B: Whoah. 哇。

Almost everyone knows the painting, Mona Lisa, but not everyone knows of its bizarre history. 每个人都知道蒙娜·丽莎这幅画,可是并非人人了解她的离奇的历史。

It was sold to the king of France, and later Napoleon hung it in his own bedroom. 她早先是卖给了法国国王,随后拿破仑把她挂在自己的卧室里。

Then, in 1911, it was stolen from the Louvre by an Italian man. Apparently, he simply put the painting under his shoulder and walked out the front door. 之后,在1911年,她被一个意大利人从卢浮宫偷走。很明显,这个人只是把这幅画夹在自己的腋下从前门走出去。

Museum attendants didn’t even notice the painting was missing until a day or so later. 在画被偷走的一两天之后,卢浮宫的服务人员才发现画被盗。

The Mona Lisa turned up after about a year and a half in the shop of an antique dealer in Italy. 约一年半之后,蒙娜·丽莎出现在意大利的一家古董店里。

The man who had stolen the painting wanted it back in the artist’s home country and, after his mission accomplished, he was seen as a national hero by many. 当年偷了此画的人想让她重新回到画家的国家,任务完成之后,他也被很多人视为一个民族英雄。

Italian authorities then returned it to the Louvre Museum, where it now hangs behind bullet proof glass. 之后意大利当局把她归还给卢浮宫,现在这幅画正悬挂在宫内的防弹玻璃窗后面。