纽约英语口语网新版
温哥华英语口语
第 229 课:In a few years. 还得几年。

Jake: Good morning, Steven. Are you all right? 早上好, 史蒂文。你没事吧?

Steven: Hi, Jake. Yes, I'm fine. I'm just a little tired. 嗨, 杰克。还好, 只是有点累。

Jake: Late night last night, huh? Party? Dancing? What was it? 昨天晚上又熬夜了, 是吗? 聚会? 跳舞? 你到底干什么了?

Steven: The baby. He wakes up every three hours--at eleven, two, and five. When the alarm clock goes off at seven, I'm too tired to get up. 是孩子。他每三小时醒来一次。——11 点、2 点和5 点各一次。当7 点钟闹钟响时, 我都累得起不来了。

Jake: Every three hours? Why? 每三小时醒一次? 为什么?

Steven: Because he's hungry. 因为他肚子饿。

Jake: Can't you just leave a bottle of milk next to his bed? 你不能在他床旁边放一瓶牛奶吗?

Steven: Peter isn't old enough to feed himself. He's only two months old. 彼得太小了, 还不会自己吃呢, 他才两个月。

Jake: When will he be old enough to feed himself? 他什么时候才能学会自己吃呢?

Steven: In a few years. 还得几年。

Jake: A few years! Can't you just tell him to wait until morning? 几年! 难道你不能告诉他等到早上再吃吗?

Steven: He isn't old enough to understand what people say. 他太小了, 听不懂大人说话。

Jake: Poor Steven. You need to drink lots of coffee. 可怜的史蒂文, 你得多喝点咖啡。

Steven: Usually I rush to work without any breakfast at all. Anne and I are too busy to eat regular meals. We're even too busy to go grocery shopping. 通常我根本不吃早饭就赶来工作。我和安妮太忙了, 不能按时吃饭, 我们甚至忙得没时间去食
品店买东西。

Jake: You must be glad to come to the office, where it's quiet. 那你一定喜欢来办公室, 这里安静。

Steven: Oh, no. I hate to leave the baby for more than a few hours. 噢, 不。离开孩子几个小时我都受不了。

Jake: Oh, Steven, by the way, I forgot--I have a gift for Peter. 噢, 史蒂文, 顺便说一下, 我差点忘了—— 我有个礼物送给彼得。