纽约英语口语网新版
温哥华英语口语
第 240 课:Sounds interesting. 听起来挺有趣。

Jake: No. I broke my shoulder three times. I can't throw the ball anymore. I don't like to talk about it. 不行啦, 我的肩受了三次伤。再也不能投球了, 我也不愿谈这些。

Steven: How's the story on Stamford's economy coming? 那个报道斯坦福德经济的新闻进行得怎么样了?

Jake: Fine. Jim Stuart is interviewing some retired people for me today. Some of them worked in the factories here. 很好。吉姆. 斯图尔特今天要帮我采访一些退休老人呢。其中有些人当年在斯坦福德的工厂里干过活。

Steven: Sounds interesting. 听起来挺有趣。

Jim: What could Yale & Towne produce at the factory in Stamford? 耶鲁汤尼公司当年在斯坦福德的工厂里能生产什么?

Man: Yale & Towne could, uh, produce locks, hardware, door closers, and pumps . 耶鲁汤尼工厂当年, 嗯, 生产锁、小五金、闭门器和水泵。

Jim: How many locks could you make in a day? 你们一天能生产多少把锁?

Man: We could make thousands of locks a day in, uh, Yale & Towne. 那时候在耶鲁汤尼工厂, 我们一天可以生产数千把锁。

Jim: And what did you do for entertainment? How much did things cost? 你们那时有什么娱乐吗? 要花多少钱?

Woman: Well, I think. . . we could go to a movie for about a dime. And Saturday they used to have all these, you know, The Goddess and Pearl White. 啊, 想想......
那时花一角钱就可以看一场电影, 星期六常放的电影, 你知道, 是《女神》和《珍珠白》。

Man: Right. Marx Brothers and all these different groups that you could really enjoy yourself. 是的。还放《马克思兄弟的故事》和其他一些类似的电影。能看看这些电影大家已经很满足了。

Woman: Well, there wasn't too much to do, but we used to go down and watch the circus unload. 是啊, 那时的确没什么可做的, 但是我们过去还经常到市中心去看马戏团卸车。